- Ph.D in Physics from Mumbai University.
- M.Sc. in Physics (Gold Medalist) from Garhwal University.
His broad area of scientific research is Condensed matter physics with specialization in device-oriented research in the areas of molecular electronics, organic solar cells, thermoelectric power generators and gas sensors.
- Director, National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi.
- Director, Additional Charge, CEERI-Pilani, Rajasthan.
- Outstanding Scientist, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai.
- Outstanding Professor, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research.
- Professor, Homi Bhaba National Institute, Mumbai.
- Director, Additional Charge, CSIR-NISTADS, New Delhi (2018-19).
- Secretary, Atomic Energy Education Society, DAE, Anushaktinagar, Mumbai (2012-15).
- Scientific Officer, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai (1987-2018).
National Fellowships / Memberships / Additional Designations Held:
- Fellowship in organizations such as CEA & IFCPAR, France, BMBF, Germany, JSPS, Japan.
- Academician (Fellow), Asia Pacific Academy of Materials (APAM), Singapore.
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences, USI, Maharashtra Academy of Sciences.
- Chairman, National Noise Pollution Control Board, CPCB.
- Chairman, MTD33 Metallurgical Engineering Department, BIS.
- Chairman, National Award Committee, MHA, NRDC.
- President, Metrology Society of India (MSI) & Acoustic Society of India (ASI).
- Member, BIPM, France, APMP, Japan, IUPAP, Singapore.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, DAE-UGC Center.
- Member, Governing Body, SN Bose National Centre for Basic Science, QCI, NABCB, ERTL, IUAC.
- Member, Research Council of CEERI, CGCRI, NGRI, DRDO – SSPL.
- Member, Management Council of CSIO, NAL, NISCAIR.
- Member, Assessment Committee, BIS, STQC, MEITY.
- Member, MRSI, IVS, Indian Physics Association, NASI, IUVSTA, AEACI.
- Dr. S.K. Date Memorial Lecture Award, Pune University.
- Science and Technology Excellence Award, Government of Uttarakhand.
- Memorial Oration Award, Dr. K.V. Rao Scientific Society.
- HBNI Distinguished Faculty Award.
- Indo-French Project Award on “Flexible gas sensors”.
- DAE-SRC Outstanding Research Investigator Award.
- Homi Bhabha Science and Technology Award, DAE.
- Materials Research Society of India Medal.
- PARAJ-Excellence in Science.
Dr. D K Aswal has 3 patents granted on his name. 266 Peer reviewed journals, 153 In conference proceeding, 4 edited books and 19 chapters contributed in various books.
Dr. D K Aswal has also guided more than 15 PhD. Students. He was a visiting scientist / Honored guest professor / Visiting Professor to various renowned international universities such as University of Paris VII, Diderot, France, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel, University of South Florida, USA, University of Yamanashi, Japan, and Karlsruhe University, Germany etc.
Dr. D K Aswal has conceptualized the production of Indian Certified Reference Materials and secured the first ever trademark of ‘Bhartiya Nirdeshak Dravays (BND®) – India Certified Reference materials’ in collaboration with Ministry of Commerce. This program enhanced the quality of products and process in the country through production of various reference materials in the fields of water, cement, metals, alloys, petroleum products, coal, food, etc.